Moving Forward in Math

In math we will be starting to review and learn concepts related to addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. We will first focus on addition and subtraction and then move on to multiplication and division in the near future. Below are the Alberta curricular outcomes that are related to these operations. Practicing these concepts at home will ensure your student is getting plenty of practice and will boost their confidence with mental math questions. 

Grade 3

- I can describe and apply mental mathematics strategies for adding two 2-digit numerals.
- I can describe and apply mental mathematics strategies for subtracting two 2-digit numerals.
- I can apply estimation strategies to predict sums and differences of two 2-digit numerals in a problem-solving context.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of addition and subtraction of numbers with answers to 1000 (limited to 1-, 2- and 3-digit numerals), concretely, pictorially and symbolically. 
- I can apply mental math strategies in order to understand and recall basic addition facts and related subtraction facts to 18.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of multiplication to 5 × 5 
- I can demonstrate an understanding of division (related to multiplication facts up to 5 × 5)


Grade 4

- I can demonstrate an understanding of addition of numbers with answers to 10 000 and their corresponding subtractions (limited to 3- and 4-digit numerals).
- I can understand, recall and apply addition facts up to and including 9 + 9 and related subtraction facts.
- I can apply the properties of 0 and 1 for multiplication and the property of 1 for division.
- I can describe and apply mental mathematics strategies to determine basic multiplication facts to 9 × 9 and related division facts.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of multiplication (2- or 3-digit by 1-digit) to solve problems.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of division (1-digit divisor and up to 2-digit dividend) to solve problems.


♡ Ms. Rothe